An article and televised segment that ran on Sunday (May 22, 2011) in Norway has brought more attention to the ongoing disputed between Disney and the Norwegian government over funding for the country’s Epcot pavilion. The news coverage has evoked a strong response from the Norwegian people. Roughly 80% think the current film is shameful.
Geir Ness, who sells popular perfume products in the pavilion’s shop, calls it a “rubbish film” and says “I find it absolutely appalling that we have not done anything better out of this at all.” The Norwegian press also spoke to members of Norway’s government. The Progressive Party in the Norwegian parliament thinks the film is an embarrassment. “Yes, I believe this is nothing less than a scandal that a failure to follow up on this” said Harold T. Nesvik, Member of Parliament for the Progressive Party. The Progressives believe funding should be given immediately to cover the government’s 5 million or 20% share of the projected cost (the remaining 15 million or 80% would be covered by private companies in Norway).
Industry Minister Trond Giske, however, wont promise anything and says that Norway needs to carefully consider if the money can be better spent elsewhere. He admits the film is completely outdated though.
You can read the Google Translated article for yourself here.
For more background on this developing saga you might want to check out older posts of this site such as Disney threatening to strip the pavilion of the Norwegian flag and turn it in to a general Scandinavia pavilion and WDI rejecting Norway’s proposed replacement film. To say the pavilion has been troubled is a bit of an understatement – if you want to understand the big picture, the full history of Norway’s falling out with Disney is chronicled in the text of The Epcot Explorer’s Encyclopedia.